Tuesday 16 February 2010

For those that 'don't get' twitter

When I tell people that I tweet I quite often get odd looks and the comment 'I don't get twitter'. They tell me that it's just people telling you what they've had for breakfast and when they've put the kettle on. Sometimes it is just that but for a people watcher that can be quite interesting.
I guess twitter works best when you follow several people and you are followed by just as many. Some of my best friends are on twitter although I've never met them. I know them a lot better than I know my real friends and I know that if I need advice or somebody to talk to there will always be somebody there for me.
You can learn so much from what people tweet and really cultivate friendships. Take for instance @yesno94 and @lauraa_14. They had met each other in real life but didn't really talk or acknowledge each other. Then they started tweeting. It didn't take long for a friendship to grow on twitter which then developed into a relationship. They have been together 6 months so far and have friends on twitter spying on their relationship.
Twitter is more than a chatroom and more than just status updates. It is full of status updates and conversations resulting from them and you can make it what you want. It can be the first to break news, be used for good causes and creates debate. However you chose to use it twitter holds a lot. So for those that don't get twitter take some time to people watch, follow several people and start a conversation. You may be surprised where it leads!

No comments:

Post a Comment