Monday 15 April 2013

The Start of My Fundraising Year

It was back in 2010 that I decided on my first fundraising event in memory of my mum. My friend, Jane, had wanted to do a charity trek but was being a big girlie wimp about it and wanted a trek where they spoke English, had nice food, proper toilets and no tents. I didn't actually think this was possible but after scouring the internet I found a charity trek for Breakthrough Breast Cancer along the Gower peninsula.
  We signed up and off we went. Breakthrough were very supportive and I decided that they would be a charity that I would continue to support. The organisation of the trek was fantastic. This was where I first met Gideon of Walkwise UK. They were responsible for sorting hotel, transport and the walk and I couldn't fault that. The weather was beautiful( an added bonus) and the walk enjoyable.
 Walking for a distance gives you time to think and before we had gone too far I had decided that I would really like to do something similar in Dorset where my mum had liked to go on holiday. I had a conversation with Gideon about the possibility of organising a walk in memory of mum in that area and he said it would be possible. Our Gower trek continued and plans were put to the back of my mind.
  The next year my sister announced she wanted to swim across the Solent for fun so she and I entered a sea swim with MACMILLAN CANCER  to see what we felt about that. I now had another idea for a charity event!
  Slowly I decided that I needed a year of fundraising madness in memory of my mum and as October 2013 marked the 20th anniversary of mum's death that seemed the perfect year to carry it out. I knew exactly which charities too. Breakthrough Breast Cancer had allowed me to run for them in Great South Run and had been very supportive so they were my first choice. Mum had had breast cancer and had survived that. Unfortunately she later developed lung cancer and died at the Royal Marsden. She had been given some equipment that allowed her to come home and I decided that the Marsden would be my next charity so I could help fund equipment to let others come home. Finally I chose Cancer Research. There are so many different types of cancer and so many families touched by the disease this seemed an appropriate charity.
  I guess I am a person easily led. I hate running and always swore I would never run. Then my friend, Baz, ran the London marathon. I told them they were mad and would never catch me entering. That put the idea in my head and twice so far I've entered the ballot for a place. The London marathon was then added to my list of events for the year. If I don't get a ballot place I'm hoping Breakthrough will give me a charity place.
   I also said I would never abseil. I hate heights, although mum had no fear. When I say I hate heights I mean I HATE heights. My friend Trish then did an abseil. I continued to say I would NEVER do an abseil but another friend announced they were going to abseil down the Spinnaker Tower. Next thing I know I'm telling everybody that is another event I'm doing.
  At this point I thought I had enough but then a friend asked me to enter the Grim challenge. Of course I said no and that I would never do that. Next thing I know I've gathered a team of about 9 to doThe Grim with me.
  Please don't suggest anything else!!!!!

   Once events were chosen organisation began. My open event is my Dorset Trek. I contacted Gideon and told him the date and area I wanted and he very kindly put together a package. The event takes place 4th to 6th October 2013 and costs £179 per person based on sharing a twin room. At the time of writing I have 13 people attending but there is still room for more. The cost includes 2 nights at a hotel, food, transport from hotel to the start of day 1 and transport back to the hotel and 2 days walking with guide.
 If you are interested in joining me please let me know. I have set up fundraising pages for each charity for the walking team. If you can't join us please sponsor us

http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/fundraiser-web/fundraiser/showFundraiserPage.action?userUrl=pennysdorsetdawdlers&pageUrl=4&isTeam=true

http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/fundraiser-web/fundraiser/showFundraiserPage.action?userUrl=pennyswalkers&pageUrl=2&isTeam=true

http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/fundraiser-web/fundraiser/showFundraiserPage.action?userUrl=dorsetdawdlers2&pageUrl=3&isTeam=true

2 comments:


  1. The interest for the opening night was beyond my boldest expectations! All three levels were packed swiss replica watches with true watch aficionados and the occasional watch lovers, all of them tirelessly visiting exhibitors in replica watches sale every hall. Large crowds gathered around every booth as brands repeatedly presented their latest and greatest timepieces. Some brands tried to further enhance the night's buzzing atmosphere. My absolute favorite of these efforts had to be the 1940's band playing by the Bremont stand. Their lovely style lent a unique flair to the gallery while perfectly matching the British company and its showcased replica watches sale timepieces. From a watch enthusiast's perspective it was fantastic to see so many replica watches people attend and show such incredible interest for the event, for the brands and - most cheap replica watches importantly - for watch making itself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete