Wednesday 2 September 2009

Ann Summers and the Plinth

I have been an Ann Summers organiser for 15 years and so it is a big part of my life. Every October the company support the Breast Cancer Care campaign. This ties in perfectly with my mission on the plinth. My mum developed breast cancer at the age of 50 but went into remission. 5 years later she died of lung cancer.

By drawing attention to the breast cancer campaign via Ann Summers on the plinth and then leading on to Cancer research for all cancers works well for me. With this in mind I contacted my Area manager who put me in contact with the press office.

Hannah has been brilliant. I have often spoken to customer care, accounts and order line but this was my first encounter with the press office. I told her a brief outline of what I planned, how I was going to suggest Unit Organisers to follow on twitter and how I was going to mention the products we will be selling to raise funds in October.

I wasn't ready for the next question.Hannah casually said " What are you going to wear? Would you consider wearing Pamper Parlour " This is one of the ranges that will be sold to support BCCC . I'm not sure if she could hear the panic in my voice or not. Racing through my mind was 40 , fat and frumpy - not the best way of promoting something. I had always planned on wearing a t shirt with my twitter name on and a link to my just giving site so I explained that and said I would be more than happy to have the outfit on the plinth but not on me!

I emailed all the links and details to Hannah and started to feel even more excited with my plan. As usual my first port of call was twitter to let them know I had been asked to wear an outfit. I had people googling the costume and Americans asking for links to the Ann Summers website! Straight away I said I wouldn't be wearing it but as the day went on my mind began to imagine what I could do.

There are certain friends on twitter who like to play fancy dress Friday instead of doing follow Friday. Now I had a brilliant way of suggesting them as follow fridays and bringing Ann Summers into the conversation and introducing the breast cancer campaign. I could wear my t shirt and then put on Pamper Parlour and remove it again after my talk.

An email then came from Hannah offering me the use of life size blow up Ann Summers bunnies!!!!!! I haven't got the foggiest idea what this is. I obviously know all about Ann Summers battery operated rabbits but blow up bunnies sounds very intriguing, fun and very me! When it says life size I'm not sure if that means rampant rabbit size, fluffy bunny size or bunny girl size. Your guess is as good as mine. To find out though you will have to wait until plinth day!



Please sponsor me at www.justgiving.com/penny-nash

2 comments:

  1. Yay!

    Just donated. Can't wait to see you on the plinth xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. You looked fanTABulous in your Pamper Parlour get up me dear. I always used to say that the dress up set looked better on people that weren't sticky thin. That's not me saying you're tubby, that's me saying you were perfect for it! You got that style Lady.

    Kx.

    ReplyDelete