Friday 18 September 2009

The Plinth part 1

Its been a week since my plinth adventure finished. No, its been a week since I appeared on the plinth but the adventure is far from over!

The week of plinth was manic. So much was going on in my own World that plinth preparation wasn't as organised as it could have been. I love to leave things to the last minute!!!! Part of that wasn't my fault though.

On the Monday Cancer Research UK finally got in touch. They were really looking forward to my plinth stint and wanted to help. They organised sending me balloons, t shirt and banner. Everything was falling into place.

On Tuesday I started to write a list of people I wanted to include in my follow Fridays and put them into categories that I thought summed them up. I had over 200 names on my list so tried to whittle it down. Some were extremely important to me to include so they were first on my list!

I couldn't go without mentioning @beachhut81, @halfwelshdragon @batonabike @mediocre_mum as they were responsible for making me apply in the first place. I had to mention the Watts brothers @danjwatts, @samwattsmusic and @joby2000 . These guys have grown on me so much I consider them family despite having never met them! Its strange what twitter does to you. The plinth hecklers also had to get a shout out, partly as I was now one of the gang and partly in the hope they would be nice to me!

On Wednesday the bits and pieces coming from Ann Summers and Cancer Research didn't turn up and a slight panic began. I met up with @beachhut81 and asked her to write out my names in neat as my writing isn't the best! On my way home from a meeting that evening I popped in and was met with another dilemma. Jane had been experimenting with different ways of displaying twitter names and now I had to decide which to use. So much choice just added to my confusion so I decided to stick with my original plan. I took the sheets home to make a start with the intention of giving it back to her to finish off. I started about 10pm to write out names, a mistake as spelling mistakes were made.

The next day I waited for the post. I continued with my names list in order to distract myself from lack of post. I also baked biscuits to throw from the plinth as well as rock cakes.A parcel van turned up but with only 1 parcel. It was the Ann Summers bunnies and costume. I tried on the outfit, which fitted fine and blew up a bunny. It took 10 minutes to blow up which seemed fine in the comfort of my living room. By now I knew the Cancer Research bits weren't coming. I phoned them up and waited for a call back. The local shop had a T shirt I could borrow and a banner so I jumped in the car and rushed to collect bits before I had to collect kids from school.

I packed my suitcase, located i.d, wrote my notes. Each time I completed something it was put in my case. By now my nerves were really kicking in. I went to bed about midnight and was up at 6am. School days are always manic in my house but plinth day wasn't. I got up and prepared packed lunches, located all shoe, laid out school uniforms and prepared an overnight bag for my son. I got the kids up at 7.30 and they were ready to go by 8am. At 8.30 I drove them to school and handed sons bag to a friend. That's when I discovered I had left lunch boxes at home! Mad dash home, back to school and said my goodbyes.

It was at this point the shakes started. I had 1 1/2 hour drive to my sisters house but I was shaking like a leaf. I drove there planning exactly what I was going to say on the plinth so don't remember the journey. I reached my sister's house and she had forgotten I was coming and had company. She was supposed to be giving me a lift to the station so panic began to set in. Had a cup of tea and paced up and down the floor. Luckily my sister took the hint and gave me a lift. I was so nervous I made her come into the station and buy my ticket for me so I didn't buy the wrong thing. I said goodbye and went to stand on the station. That's when I realised my suitcase was missing!

I had had my suitcase in my hand since arriving at my sisters but it didn't fit on my lap in the car. I had put it on the back seat. For a second I considered going with nothing but me but all my i.d was in the case4. PANIC. I ran back to the car park just as my sister was reaching the traffic lights. Luckily they turned red and I ran. I don't know if I yelled but I do know I ran. She spotted me and realised what was wrong. As I reached the car she was just pulling the suitcase out. I grabbed the case and turned round to see my train just arriving at the station. I ran again!

I was so relieved to sit down on that train. My legs were shaking and my heart pounding. The thought of what had nearly happened was just awful. The train didn't take long to get to Waterloo but by the time it did my stomach was turning somersaults.

I found the right tube and started off again. When I was at university I travelled by tube for 3 years and never spoke to a soul but this day I started a conversation with the lady sat next to me. I told her what I was about to do and she wished me luck! I reached my stop and made my way to Trafalgar Square. First port of call was the plinth. I couldn't hear the girl up there so wandered off. My stomach was turning so much I went to Mc Donalds for chips!

The real preparation then began .....

No comments:

Post a Comment