Monday 28 September 2009

The Plinth Part 3








The trip on the Cherry picker (aka the Teleporter) was one of the most nerve racking things going. I thought I would take pictures from it on my way to the plinth but couldn't find my camera. I had had it in my hand before I got in the cage but didn't have it when in. The security guy went to search for it and then he remembered that I had put it in my suitcase!




I was being accompanied by an official photographer and an O &O operator. The picker started on its journey to the plinth and my twitter friends were walking along beside it. People were waving at me and I attempted to wave back but felt much more comfortable holding on tight to the railing!




It was as the cherry picker started to rise into the air that my nerves really took hold. The wedding smile was glued on but a strange noise was coming from my mouth. I was shaking like a leaf and I started to shiver. My lip was shaking, my teeth chattering and this strange buuuurrrh noise kept popping out. Poor O&O guy kept asking if I was OK and I tried explaining it was nerves. The closer to the top we got the louder and longer the noise got. I was aware of the microphone round my shoulder and wondered what on earth they would make of the noise at home. It hadn't dawned on me that they were already listening!




The lady on the plinth before me had been painting and I had to wait for her to bring her bits into the cage before I could leave. A pole was placed on the plinth and my suitcase taken on for me. I had promised my family I wouldn't sing on the plinth but started singing to myself and talking to myself in the picker. It was not my fault my microphone was already on.




I took a step onto the plinth and made a statement that I had made it. I'm still not sure who that was aimed at!

No comments:

Post a Comment