Wednesday 10 March 2010

Discovering pregnancy.

Recently I have been reading blogs by other people relating to their experiences of motherhood, from potty training to tantrums. I thought it would be nice to join in but as my children range in ages and my memory isn't the best, those early years aren't quite so vivid.
That too set me thinking. There have been so many little things that I have wanted to know about me as a child but my mum isn't around to ask. I thought maybe it would be nice to write down bits that I do remember from my own experiences in case I'm not around when my children want to know things.
With that in mind I'm going to start at the very beginning. Well maybe not the VERY beginning although I do know the exact date of conception of 2 of my children I don't think the details are necessary!!!! Instead I'll start with discovering I was pregnant.


Pregnancy and giving birth has been different with all 4 of my children . Discovering I was pregnant differed too. With my first child I was on a diving weekend in Plymouth when I realised I was pregnant. In fact I was sat on the sea bed at 30m and leading a dive. It was really quite peculiar. I went out on the dive boat as normal, rolled off the side and descended to the seabed. The minute I got there a little voice in my head started shouting 'get to the surface now, you're pregnant'. At first I thought it was nitrogen narcosis but I couldn't get the voices to stop. We were only at the bottom for about 10 minutes when I signalled for the dive to be aborted. I got back on the RIB and made out I had a problem with my equipment whilst I sat thinking about the voices.
I had a long time to think too as we were diving in 2 waves and so I was sat on the boat getting colder and colder. In the end I was pushed onto floor of the boat with people trying to keep me awake. Our dive boat left the group early to get me to shore as quickly as possible. I remember my friend Jay dragging me out the boat and walking me back up to where we were staying. I was so cold I had stopped shivering. He started to take me into the boys bathroom to which I objected but he wouldn't take no for an answer. He ran me a warm shower and I remember him helping me out of my semi dry suit. He then marched me back to my room and waited outside for me to get dressed before making me a cuppa. I should have been thinking how lucky that the most fanciable man on the trip had just had a shower with me when all I thought was that I was hearing voices. I didn't dare tell anybody.
I wasn't even late with my period then but I knew I was pregnant. Luckily for me the weather took a turn for the worse and all diving was cancelled for the weekend. I came home and at the first chance went out and bought a test kit. Sure enough the voices were right and I was pregnant.
It didn't just happen once though. The voices came back with my second child. It was just as odd but I wasn't in a particularly awkward situation. In fact I was just out walking with my toddler. I had wanted to get home quicker so had started skipping down the road with my little girl. No sooner had I started bouncing up and down and the voices came back. Somebody in my head shouted 'stop jumping up and down like that, you're pregnant!' I stopped, walked a bit and then started skipping again. The voice said it again. I walked past my house and to the chemist for a pregnancy test and sure enough it was positive.I was only a day or so late then.
You'll be pleased to know there were no voices with my third child. I knew I was pregnant when I was a few days late but there were no voices. When I suspected I was pregnant I tried skipping to see what would happen but nobody yelled at me. They did come back for my fourth child though.
With the fourth it was slightly different. We went on a family holiday for New Year to Cornwall. We went with friends and my friend made me try the sunbeds. That's not when the voices came though. It was towards the end of the holiday and we went shopping. I bought myself a tight fitting leather pencil skirt. Don't ask me why. My fashion sense has never been great. When we got back to the lodge I tried it on and my friend said she would laugh if I was pregnant. My husband turned round and said ' if she gets pregnant , we get divorced'. As soon as he said it that little voice in my head went ' I hope you know a good solicitor, you're pregnant!' Stupid voice. I wasn't pregnant at the start of that holiday but I knew the voice had never been wrong before.
Whoops, I said I wasn't going to mention when they were conceived and actually that makes 3 children I can trace back to conception. Guess I'll leave it there for now.

I'm sure I'm not the only one knew before they knew. I'd like to hear your stories. Please comment

4 comments:

  1. Wow that is amazing! I have to admit I didn't know with complete certainty either time. The 1st I was on fertility drugs and it wasnt going well, so when i was late i blamed the fact my body wasnt playing the right game. I went to the docs, was told the drugs werent working and to contact my consultant and so did a test 1st just to make sure - and I was pregnant. I had no signs although i had a gut feeling - I'd had that every time I was late for 3 years of trying! The second time I thought it was just wishful thinking. I said things that made it sound like I was pregnant, talking about myself as if I already knew - but wasn't even concious I was doing it. And my boobs felt really sore from the day I now know was conception day! I did a test because again was waiting for an appointment to restart fertility treatment, it was negative. I was a week late and so was sure the test was right. Still I knew but thought it was wishful thinking. Another week passed and I redid the test and this time it was positive, but dates confirm that I had concieved when I thought. It's strange how some people just know yet others - like a lady on our local news today - go a whole pregnancy not knowing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Found you! Interesting blog, Penny.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just to let you know I've tagged you at mine : http://www.itsmygoodlife.co.uk/2010/03/happy-101-meme.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tight leather pencil skirt??? :-)

    ReplyDelete