Wednesday 24 March 2010

My First Baby

Giving birth has been a different experience with all four of my children. The first time took me by surprise. I know that sounds daft as I knew I was pregnant but my baby decided to come 3 weeks early.
I had written a few questions down for my midwife ready to ask her at my antenatal appointment a few days later but baby couldn't wait that long. It was 5am when I woke up and thought I had wet the bed. It took a few minutes to work out that that wasn't the case and my waters had broken. I woke my husband who went and phoned the hospital. They said not to bother coming in until I started having contractions so I changed sheets and went back to bed.
9am came and off we went to ASDA. I know most people would have gone to hospital but I still had some bits to get as, like I said, my baby had caught me by surprise. Walking round the shop was a little awkward - not because I was in labour and could feel contractions but because my waters had broken and every so often I could feel a dribble!
We got the shopping, went home, packed my hospital bag and phoned again. I was advised to take a bath and see if that helped. Still couldn't feel anything. Later that evening we phoned and went to hospital. I was told off for not coming in sooner although still nothing was happening. We saw a nice midwife who found my list of questions. The first one was what should I do when I go into labour. The midwife laughed as all my questions were irrelevant apart from one.
In my notes it mentioned something about the shape of my pelvis with question marks. My mum had had all 3 of her children by c section because her child bearing hips were not designed to bear children! I was worried that this was the same for me. The midwife shrugged and said I wasn't to worry.
I was put on a ward and told to wait and my husband was sent home. Well I waited and waited.Contractions came but I was told I still had to wait. Eventually somebody came and got me and took me to the delivery room. They called my husband back then too.
That's when the pain started. My baby was back to back with me and I was getting pain down my spine.I was told to breathe like they had taught me in classes. It was then I pointed out that I hadn't been to any classes. The gas was good but not really doing the trick so they decided to give me pethidine. I don't remember a lot after that.
What I do remember doesn't make a lot of sense. I was suddenly on a dive boat on the Solent with a blue hippo with pink spots as my dive buddy. I know this is highly unlikely but that's what I vividly remember!
I had a couple of doses of pethidine but after the second the baby really began to arrive. In fact as soon as she did she had to be whisked away to be given the antidote! Baby was fine and weighed in at 6lb 1/2oz. I could hold her in one hand and all the clothes I had swamped her.
The midwife in delivery was lovely but back on the ward wasn't so good. I got out of bed the next morning and collapsed. Nobody noticed! Came too and buzzed for help but was told to just get back in bed and stay there. This was my first born, I hadn't been to classes and I hadn't a clue what I was doing. The midwives just tutted.
Just after that there was a huge investigation with several midwives being sacked for bullying patients and other midwives. I decided I would never give birth in that hospital again. How wrong can you be!

4 comments:

  1. sorry you had such a bad experience after birth, my midwife called social services as i was a single mum and after 24hrs of labour with my first he slept for 12 hrs when he woke i was shattered and asked for a bottle to feed him was accused of not attempting to bond. It stays with you but thank fully didn't put either of us off from having more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, that's awful. I really don't know what to say...

    ReplyDelete
  3. You experience sounds so shocking similar to mine. I had back to back labour, tried pethadine felt as high as a kite and ended up with an emergency c-section. The hospital failed me many times including 3 weeks earlier when I told them my waters had broke and they told me they hadnt and to go home 3 weeks later when he was born he had an infection because of the lack of waters! Hospitals!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes mine also caught an infection due to lack of waters.I was told worst thing I did was have a bath. When it's your first you just trust the hospital

    ReplyDelete